Thursday, 23 April 2015

Nana's Brag Box

The latest PaperArtsy challenge is "Niches" - what a lot of possibilities this opens up.

I have a few of the mini metal 'pill' boxes in my stash and decided to resurrect a  technique I learnt a long time ago on a workshop using Adirondack Alcohol inks. The method involves dabbing the ink onto metal with felt dabbers which gives a lovely mottled effect.

The wording is done using peel offs and electricians tape. Once the lettering was in place I cut the tape to fit the box lid, covered the letters and used a paper stump to push the tape between and around the lettering. The alcohol inks were then pounded over the top then with a drop of blending solution on a kitchen towel rubbed the alcohol ink from the lettering.
For the inside of the box I cut a length of double sided patterned 12 x 12 cardstock and concertinaed it to fit inside of the box. A separate piece was used to line the lid.

Lid of box with Grandchildren's names
Next stage was to put the photos in place and decorate the strip back and front.

One end of the strip was glued to the base
A loop of ribbon at the top  for pulling it out of the tin.
Hope you like it. The most difficult part of the project was reducing the photos to fit the box lol!

Take care!

Wednesday, 15 April 2015

IndigoBlu Off the Edge Challenge

Yay! My entry in the IndigoBlu challenge "Spring Greens" was in the Top Three chosen by the DT and I have been invited to enter an Inspirational piece for their latest challenge "Off the Edge".

It is my husband's birthday this week and we were bemoaning the fact that birthdays seem to come around too quickly these days and how time flies. Hence the inspiration for this card.

I prefer to make my own backgrounds which can then be custom made to suit the project. I created some texture on a black card with stencils and 3D paste. Using a baby wipe I applied Postbox Red & Burning Bonfire to  the whole card - considering it was black card it took only a small amount of  paint to cover! 

The card was then stamped and stencilled off the edge in various paints and Archival ink (a list of the stamps and paints are listed below), the edges were distressed so the black card showed through.

The Weathered Clock die-cut and the Altered Egos Time pieces were painted with Hot Cocoa then Goldfinger, dabbed with Copper and finally smudged with Black Soot.

I found a clock piece in my stash that perfectly fitted the pocket watch from Altered Egos Time to which were added a couple of die cut wings cut from cardboard, embossed and painted with Ruby Slippers, 

The project is  on 8 x 8 card therefore after my hubbies birthday I will mount this on a canvas which I have already prepped so that  he can  hang it in his study. 

Thanks for stopping by x


IndigoBlu English Cottage Paints:  Hot Cocoa, Buring Bonfire, Postbox Red, 
IndigoBlu English Cottage Metallics: Goldfinger, Ruby Slippers, Copper
Stamps used: Good Times' Limor Circles and Rugged Edge
Doobadoo Geometric Tiles stencil
Crafters Workshop Harlequin stencil
Altered Egos Time
TH Alterations Weathered Clock, Heart Wings
Scrabble Tiles
Embellishments from stash